Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Henry B. Hotz
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 9:16 PM -0700 6/15/99, Chris Bitmead wrote:
>Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
>submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
>inconvenient.

I don't know how postgres does it exactly, but NetBSD has open lists and
some aggressive kind of spam filtering based on known spammers.  I think
it's been very nice to have discussions, for example, which span both the
port-mac68k@netbsd.org list and e.g. a MkLinux list.  The spam filtering
seems to be very effective since I only see a piece of spam on the netbsd
lists once every 3 months or so.  I would suggest you consider cooperating
with them to use whatever mechanism they use.

As another specific example there was a person on port-mac68k who was
getting postgres up on a Mac 68k system and having some problems.  I tried
to cross-post my responses to the postgres-ports lists, but they never
appeared.  I was doing it from this very email address on this very
machine.  Aside from the 'now' - 'current' problem I reported earlier, his
were mostly related to interactions among the NetBSD installation, the
NetBSD package system and our install instructions rather than to any
fundamental deficiencies in postgres.  However I think he had valid
problems which I think the Postgres documenters could address, and which
would improve our product.  I think it is unfortunate that I was not able
to involve one of the postgres lists in the discussion.